Sunday 18 August 2013

What's In A Name?





What's in a name?
That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
- William Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet)

When I was a young girl, I used to really dislike my name. I thought that the name 'Linda' sounded old and boring. I genuinely thought that I would change my name once I was older!

I don't think I've ever met anyone my own age called Linda. All the Linda's that I've come across are aged 40+. 

Personalised goodies were my favourite and it was always so difficult to find things with the name 'Linda' on, especially if there weren't many names available - it would most likely be names like 'Emma', 'Amy', 'Katie' etc. Luckily, I have managed to get my hands on quite a few personalised items over the years and I cherish them dearly!

Now that I've left my teenage years behind, I absolutely love my name. I think that this is down to something called "growing up". As you get older, you discover more about yourself and you learn to love yourself. Those so-called flaws and imperfections suddenly fade into nothing and you become more comfortable in your skin and your own identity. 

I used to have a friend who spoke Spanish and she told me that 'Linda' was actually the Spanish word for pretty - I thought that was so cute!

I'm glad that my parents named me Linda - I wouldn't have it any other way....

What do you think of your name?

6 comments:

  1. I don't really like my name, never have, don't give it a lot of thought any more as I have so many nicknames and most people call me Molly instead of my actual name and have done my whole life, maybe that's why I don't like my actual name because I'm used to being called something else?

    Your name is lovely and I know a lot of people named Linda in their 20s! There's a lot more Linda's out there than you think! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know quite a few people who are so used to being called by their nicknames that they sometimes don't respond to their actual birth name haha!

      Ooh, I don't think I've ever met anyone under the age of 40 called Linda. It's nice to know there are some out there though :)

      Delete
  2. I quite like my name, am glad it was chosen for me otherwise I'd be changing it every week ha xx

    Lots of Love Beautyqueenuk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that would be a hassle for those around you! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never really minded my name but I could never get any keyrings or whatever when I was younger because my parents spelled it the old-fashioned way with a h in it :)
    Meghan xx
    peachpips.blogspot.com

    ps- I know a girl called Linda who is 22 haha ;) & you have a new follower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wonder why I don't seem to know any young Lindas! :)

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.