Friday 8 August 2014

Healthier Snacking

I've been trying hard to be more healthy recently and to get into a proper exercising regime again. Trust me, once you stick to it for a few weeks, it starts to become second nature. It can be hard to resist snacking sometimes so I've compiled a list of things that I like to snack on. I can't guarantee that these are completely healthy, but they are healthier alternatives to typical snack foods. These have helped me a lot so I hope they're useful to someone else too.



Fresh fruit - This is the blindingly obvious choice of snack if you're trying to be healthy. It goes towards your 5-a-day, you get plenty of Vitamin C, and it hydrates you too. You're more likely to eat fruit if it's easily accessible and quick. I like fruit such as raspberries because you can just grab a handful and go. Plums are also a great choice because they're soft and easy to cut up.



Dried fruit - If fresh fruit isn't your thing, how about the dried version? Dried fruit is a great alternative to fresh fruit as they're easy to just pour into a bowl and eat without worrying about seeds etc. They're also cheaper too. Avoid the ones that are coated in sugar or yoghurt though, and eat things like banana chips in moderation.


Pops - If you can't give up the great taste of Walker's, opt for the pops version rather than the crisps. Although I wouldn't recommend eating them too often, they're much better for you at 84 calories per bag. They taste delicious and are packed full of flavour.



Kale Crisps - The vast majority of people who are into healthy eating will have heard of kale crisps. Kale is known as a superfood packed with nutrients that are great for you. I initially tried a brand called rawLicious which I really didn't like because they put way too much pepper in it and it wasn't even crispy, I wasn't too impressed. These, however, from Prêt are so good!! They're crispy and are really flavoursome, I just wish I could buy a whole box of them from the supermarket.



Beetroot Crisps - This may be something that you haven't heard of. With the exception of Morrison's, I haven't seen anyone else selling beetroot crisps. These are so tasty and so crispy. At only 62 calories a bag, these are healthy and nutritious. If you like beetroot, try these out! If you don't, then perhaps these aren't for you because the flavour really comes through.



Rice cakes - Without a doubt, plain rice cakes are best, but if you want a little flavour, you can also get a selection of sweet and savoury rice cakes which aren't too bad either. This one is a popcorn flavoured one from Morrison's. I love snacking on plain ones though and topping it with low fat cheese spread and pumpkin seeds.

Do you like any of these snacks?

11 comments:

  1. Amazing post! I'm trying to eat healthier atm and this will definitely help me :)

    hellomynamesanna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beetroot chips? Yes please! Mmmm I must look out for a recipe on that! I made kale chips once but they tasted really salty, and I didn't even add salt! what do the packaged ones taste like Linda?

    *NEW POST* Jennos Health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The packaged ones aren't salty, they taste quite fresh and perhaps they have a little bit of bitterness to it.

      Delete
  3. Fresh fruit is always a winner for me :) I love eating grapes as a snack xxx

    Blog This With Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love eating rice cakes, but I've never tried the Beetroot Crisps! Sounds delish!
    xx (kim)
    itsksquared.blogspot.com | kim&kyle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post dear!!! :)

    http://www.teanonsolomoda.com/

    Kiss Tea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this! I'm not a fan of rice cakes though, they are just blah to me, and they provide little to no nutritional value x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the nutritional value isn't great but it's good in terms of its low calorie content. I tend to top mine with good stuff like seeds.

      Delete
  7. I love fresh fruit but my cravings for it are on/off, it's just a shame it doesn't last very long in the fridge x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love to eat healthy, I personally think a lot of unhealthy foods aren't that great, aka hamburgers, hotdogs and most deep fried foods. My favorite healthy snack though are raw veggies like cucumbers, pepper and carrots! Mckenzie xx
    Blog | Bloglovin’ | Twitter | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beetroot crisps sound so so great, I'm def gonna try it

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.