Tuesday 18 February 2014

Review: Layla - Gel Effect Nail Polish in No. 4 Beige Evolution




There has been so much talk lately about matte nail polishes but my preference is still with glossy nails. I haven't tried a matte polish and I'm not too sure if I ever will as it just doesn't appeal to me. Today's polish is a very glossy one called Layla Gel Effect Nail Polish in No. 4 Beige Evolution* that The Hut kindly sent to me. 

The colour is a brownish grey, definitely not a shade that I would instantly reach for on the shelf but I think it looks surprisingly nice and it would be more suited to those with pale skin. The image of it on my nails doesn't really do it justice. Hardly any sunlight recently has meant I've been battling between using a camera flash or going for a minimal light photo. It also didn't help that my nails kept reflecting light, but more on that in a bit.

The formula is fairly smooth and it glides easily onto the nail but it's hard to get it to be streak-free. Luckily, it somehow dries fairly evenly and gives you a really nice finish. I wouldn't say that this gives a "gel effect" but it certainly gives a high shine look. I could actually see some of the colours from my room on my glossy nails.

Drying time is super quick which was a nice surprise as it meant I could just get on with what I had to do very soon after application. Even with one of my nails where I'd applied a really thick layer of polish as I kept making mistakes, it was completely dry after a minute or so.  

This is a very popular shade at The Hut and it's currently sold out but, in the meantime, there are others to choose from. I'm quite keen on trying out some of their other shades because, although I've personally come across smoother formulas, I'm loving the glossiness!

Have you tried any Layla nail polishes?

12 comments:

  1. Never tried any of these nail varnishes. But love the colour and would probably try them in the future. Great post.

    Melissa | MELISSA LOVES THIS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone here should be a hand model ;)
    I have heard of this brand before, but never really checked out their offerings. This shade is so gorgeous!
    I find that streaky polishes do tend to even out after 3 coats, so it's all good :)

    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry ʘ‿ʘ

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very pretty neutral. I love it. Glad it worked. Looks lovely on your hands. Excellent review.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tagged you in my latest blog post!! please check it out and maybe consider doing it? :D love your blog!

    http://lifeasshewrote.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour is a massive no for me, but the finish looks lovely. I LOVE a fast drying polish. All that waiting around, flapping your hands to dry your nails is so irritating! x

    Lilie | mintcandylilies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the color is perfect! I love a nice shiny polish too, though having matte nails is nice once in a while. Shame this polish is a bit streaky but the high shine more than makes up for it! I will definitely look into this polish. Great review!

    xo Deborah
    Coffee, Prose, and Pretty Clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. This color is really pretty! I have a similar one by Essie, and I really love it. It's the perfect shade for winter! And I agree with what you said about matte nails. I'm really not too crazy about the trend, but I haven't tried it yet either!

    xx
    Kendra | It's a Bug's Life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is so cute! I followed you immediately after clicking on your page!
    Also, this nail polish color is so pretty!


    http://ncolesnotes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow love this colour (:


    http://hollybumblebeee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you're very happy with this. I love the glossiness too, it looks so lovely and sheenyshiny :-)

    Sharlotte //

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey! love your blog :) would you like to follow for a follow? just let me know on my blog heleenakk.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so feel free to leave a comment! You can also tweet me @HelloLinderella or send me an email.